Wednesday, June 8, 2016

New York Day 7

Today was my first rep meeting. I got there on time and found the entrance to the building (which was my biggest concern somehow). I didn't get a good vibe from the meeting nor were they interested in me so it was mostly just a good experience to have a portfolio review. Chris and I had an hour to burn between the meetings so we went to Madison Square Park and sat and watched birds and squirrels for an hour. The thunderstorm came at noon on the dot as predicted. We were pretty sheltered under a tree with our umbrella but when we had to walk to the meeting we got soaked. That meeting went great though! I will be getting a package of faces from the agency soon and will be able to shoot likely this weekend! The walk home was so stormy it flipped my umbrella up. I was very cranky, so cranky in fact I decided it was better to face my subway fear rather than walk another 16 streets in the thunderstorm. We found the right train after just 1 mistake and it took a ground total of 10 minutes to get back. I saw my first few rats in the subway, it was nice to see wildlife other than pigeons for about 5 seconds until it hits you that there is an army of rats under your feet. Spent the rest of the day following up with emails, napping and trying to warm myself after getting soaked to the bone (missing fuzzy socks, blankets and tea again).

I didn't get very many photos today because I was in offices most of the day but I got a couple street shots. My favorite and sadly most brief part of the day was walking down a "flower street" (for lack of better term) in the Flatiron District. There was an entire street that was filled on both sides with all kinds of flowers, fruit trees, succulents and plants of all kinds. I wanted to take them all home. And I was so busy absorbing everything and getting shoved in the back by businessmen who were in a rush that I didn't get pictures.

Awkward moment of the day, a nice man came up and gave me a rose and said I had beautiful teeth, he then asked me for money and when I said I didn't have any he grabbed the rose back. He clearly doesn't understand how flowers and compliments work. Made me laugh though! You have to constantly let things roll off your shoulders here or you could be a very bitter and unhappy person. I'm not great at being flexible and just rolling with the punches but I am being forced to adjust constantly (probably good learning but I hate it).






No comments:

Post a Comment