Saturday, June 4, 2016

New York Day 3

Today was laid back and full of work! I am actually beyond happy to have this day because I get antsy if I haven't worked in a few. I spent the entire day emailing creatives and making connections. Success in New York (I am told) means capitalizing on personal connections and growing your networking web of connections as large as possible. I hate networking. It's not like I hate talking to people but talking to people about myself and giving out my business cards is not my strong suit. Working on that and trying to be better at it because the one thing I won't be able to live with is going home with nothing to show because I didn't work hard enough. I will send as many emails as a day will allow and put myself out there to really make this dream happen. I currently have 6 potential teams I am putting together that will result in 6 different fashion and beauty editorials/projects. And I have a meeting with a hair stylist tomorrow that I think I will have to take the subway to find *shudder*.. But things are happening slowly and for 3 days in I'm pretty happy with what I have lined up. I also have 3 potential meetings with agents (I will know exact details on Monday). It looks like 2 of them could be really good and big opportunities.

A few other random things I've noticed while being here -
Nobody schedules things in advance, everyone waits until the day or week of to make plans (it's going against my organized nature). There is so much smoking here, I feel like I am going to lose a year of my life off of second hand smoke. Makes us very much appreciate all of the "no smoking" in state parks and near buildings rule in Oregon. It doesn't smell fresh in the city like ever, even when it rains the puddles are all grey water, makes me think I could come home and safely drink out of an Oregon puddle. Additionally I don't think we have ever smelled so many things in close proximity before, garbage on the streets, weird fumes from grates on the sidewalk, dust from construction, amazing food cart and restaurant smells and then of course cigarette and other varieties of smoke. I feel like my brain is  in overdrive all the time trying to absorb so many things.

Chris and I were lazy today and ate leftover donuts for breakfast and then we walked to Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner. Kind of lame that we went somewhere we already know well but it felt comforting. As much of a foodie as I am, there is something really amazing and comforting about some messy wings and nachos. It just hit the spot tonight. The place was hardly busy because we went around 4 and it was nice to just relax and have a conversation somewhere that felt like home.


No comments:

Post a Comment